With the coldest winter months quickly approaching, the state of your furnace is something that needs to be considered. If your furnace is 10 years old or older, you could upgrade to a new system and enjoy significant savings on your monthly utility bills. The most important rating you need to be aware of when you’re shopping for a new furnace is annual fuel utilization efficiency or AFUE.

The AFUE rating will tell you how efficiently a furnace converts fuel into energy. For example, a furnace with a 90 percent AFUE rating will convert 90 percent of its fuel into heat; the other 10 percent is wasted. Eventually, the savings you get from your new furnace should more than cover the initial cost of the system.

Before you get your new system, however, you need to ensure that it is correctly sized. A furnace that’s too large will cycle on and off too often, which is inefficient. One that’s too small will have to work too hard to keep your home warm, which will shorten its life span. A licensed HVAC pro can help you choose a system that’s right for your home. You will also want to consider different available features, including:

Variable-speed motor blower

Zoning system

Variable heat output

Also, the federal government is handing out tax credits to homeowners who purchase a new furnace with an AFUE rating of 95 percent or higher. However, these tax credits expire at the end of the year, so you better act quickly.

For more information on furnace replacement, contact the experts at Pipe Works Services today. We’d be glad to help you choose a new furnace for your home. Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about furnace replacement and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide. Pipe Works Services serves Chatham, NJ, and the surrounding areas.

company icon