If you’re currently in the market for a new furnace for your northern New Jersey home or you’re considering a new one shortly, look no further than a condensing gas furnace to save you considerable money on your energy bills.

Condensing gas furnaces have an AFUE, a standard annual efficiency measure, of at least 98 percent. If your existing furnace is over 10 years old, its AFUE is 65 percent at most. This means that 65 percent of the fuel used by your furnace is transferred to heat your home. The other 35 percent is vented outside as exhaust.

What makes a condensing furnace so efficient? Condensing gas furnaces have several features that increase their efficiency:

Dual heat exchangers – A conventional furnace has one heat exchanger that heats air for your home. The exhaust from this heat exchanger is vented outside. Condensing furnaces have a secondary heat exchanger that recovers this exhaust and uses it to heat more air for your home, resulting in considerably less fuel wasted and more of your energy dollars going to heating your home.

Variable-speed blower motor – Conventional furnaces are either on or they’re off. Condensing gas furnaces have blower motors that adjust their speed to the heating needs of your home. During warmer spells, it operates at lower speeds, using less electricity and keeping your home comfortable with more accuracy.

Modulating gas valve – Similar to the variable speed blower motor, the modulating gas valve in a condensing furnace adjusts the flow of fuel to meet your home’s real-time heating needs. Fuel consumption may range from 40 to 100 percent, depending on how much heat is needed in your home.

Electronically commutated motor (ECM) – Conventional furnaces utilize a split-capacitor motor, which can be rather loud and consume as much electricity as a refrigerator. ECMs use 75 percent less power, generate less heat, and are quieter than split-capacitor motors.

For more expert advice about condensing gas furnaces, please feel free to contact us at Pipe Works Services. We’ve proudly served northern New Jersey with a high level of customer satisfaction since 2000. Our goal is to help educate our customers in Chatham, NJ, and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).

company icon