When you’re in the market for an HVAC contractor for your northern New Jersey home, the choices can seem endless. Luckily, there are ways to weed out much of the riffraff. You can start by following these simple tips:
- Check with people you know – If anyone in your family or circle of friends has utilized a contractor and been happy with the work performed, get the company’s contact information.
- Obtain references – A reputable contractor will provide you with a list of references. Ask each one about their overall experience with the company regarding professionalism, quality of work, timely completion, etc.
- Expect a survey – To get an idea of your home’s needs, the HVAC contractor should want initially to schedule an evaluation of your home’s cooling and heating equipment, energy efficiency, ductwork, etc.
- New sizing calculation – The unfortunate truth is that many cooling and heating systems are improperly sized. Knowing this, the technician should want to size a new HVAC system himself rather than going by the size of your current system.
- NATE certification – Only utilize technicians who have been certified by NATE (North American Technician Excellence). This non-profit organization is made up of industry professionals and boasts exemplary training and testing.
- Multiple bids – It’s always a good idea to accept multiple bids on a project, and these bids must be written. When comparing the bids, price is a factor, but also pay attention to warranties, energy efficiency, equipment to be installed, estimated time completion, etc. And beware of bids that seem to be too low for the current market. If it’s too good to be true, that’s because it is.
- Ongoing professionalism – An HVAC contractor should always professionally represent the company, all the way from the initial contact to the completion of your project.
If you’d like more expert advice when it comes time to choose an HVAC contractor for your home, or if you have other home comfort needs, contact the knowledgeable professionals at Pipe Works Services We’ve been proudly serving the HVAC needs of northern New Jersey homeowners since 1988.