If the aging drainage pipes for your kitchen sink have seen better days and are starting to leak or make unsettling loud noises, it’s probably time for a replacement. While a savvy do-it-yourselfer might be able to do the job, your best bet is with a professional plumbing technician (also called… a plumber!).
When installing kitchen sink drainpipes, it helps to understand that the total assembly for the drainage system is three attached pieces, the sink drain tailpiece (between the sink and the curved portion of the drainage pipes), that curved section (aka the trap), and the drainage pipe, usually installed behind the wall.
- Find the water supply shutoff on the incoming water pipe. Turn it all the way clockwise. Position a bucket or bowl under the old trap in case of any water spills during the operation. (Don’t use your wife’s favorite serving bowl!)
- Take apart the three-piece drainpipe assembly, by first unscrewing the nuts that connect each section.
- Use hot, soapy water and a brush with stiff bristles to clean the threads on the sink strainer. If the strainer is rusted out or otherwise messed up, replace it.
- Attach the new tailpiece pipe to the sink by sliding a slip-nut onto one end of the tailpiece. You’ll want the threads pointing toward the strainer (for obvious reasons). Tighten the connection, though not too tightly.
- In the same manner, attach the wall pipe to the trap pipe. A slip-nut should be slid over each end of the trap pipe and then a washer inserted. Connect both ends of the trap by screwing the connections carefully. Hand-tighten them for now; you’ll tighten them at the end of the process.
- Check the connections; there should be no particular stress points due to improper sizing or lack of space. Finally, tighten each connection. Turn the water back on and admire your work – or more likely admire the work of your plumber.
For more information on installing kitchen sink drainpipes in your New Jersey home, please contact us at Pipe Works Services, Inc. We service Chatham, Morristown, Basking Ridge, Union, and the surrounding areas!